I’m back again with a really simple recipe, it can be used as a side dish or a full meal depending on your preference. Last Sunday, I wanted to try something different and decided to use items we had around the house. Aiming for something light I decided on a macaroni salad with the addition of shrimp and avocado. I’m not usually a big avocado fan, unless it’s guacamole on tacos but I decided to give it a try.
For the recipe, there are varying ways to do it which can be found on Pinterest. One way, includes the traditional use of mayonnaise, while the other uses avocado as the substitute. The difference with the two is one would result in a thick creamy base while the other is simply creamy depending on how much mayo you like. I opted for the traditional way.
Shrimp and Avocado Macaroni Salad
2 Cups Shrimp, cleaned & deveined
1 Box Elbow Macaroni
1 Avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
3/4 Cup Mayonnaise
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Mixture of Onions & Season Pepper
- In a medium-sized bowl combine mayo, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, thyme; season with salt and pepper, to taste. While whisking, add olive oil slowly then set aside.
- In a pot of boiling salt water, cook pasta. Drain well then set aside to cool.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook shrimp. After cooling for a bit, cut them into smaller pieces then add to a large bowl.
- Combine seasonings, shrimp, mayo mixture and pasta into the large bowl
- Place in refrigerator to chill or serve immediately based on your preference.